You may not have been able to take a summer vacation this year and maybe school has already started for your kids, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a summer vacation. Your Fort Collins rental house is close to a wide range of fun activities and opportunities that can provide you and your family with plenty of ideas for a summer staycation in Northern Colorado (even this late in the season).
Keep It Simple With Family Fun
Having a summer staycation with your family, whether your children are young or teenagers can be as easy as making a list of seemingly simple activities and doing them together. If your kids are little, you might take them to the splash pads at Spring Canyon Park or Fossil Creek Park or maybe pack a picnic lunch and head to a park you haven’t been to before. If your family is constantly on the go and you’re looking for something to slow life down and relax while spending time together, playing board games together or having a movie marathon of your favorite childhood movies could be the perfect activity for staying in.
Stay Active With Out of the Norm Activities
All throughout Fort Collins, you can find opportunities for activities that you wouldn’t normally spend on.
- At Rollerland Skate Center in north Fort Collins, children and adults alike can get some exercise while having fun with a classic activity.
- Located near Rollerland, Fort Fun is the ultimate entertainment destination with mini-golf, laser tag, go-karts, bumper cars, batting cages and so much more.
- Just a little farther south, Loveland Laser Tag is the perfect place for your local summer adventure with the largest laser tag arena in Colorado, an indoor high ropes course, arcade, climbing wall, escape room, and more.
- The newly opened Urban Air Adventure Park (located in the old Toys R Us building in the Front Range Village) is another place offering hours of fun for people of all ages. Attractions include trampolines, warrior obstacle courses, climbing walls, the Sky Rider indoor coaster, a playground that doubles as an obstacle course, and more activities that you’ll have time for.
Exercise Your Mind With an Escape Room
For something a little more mentally challenging, Fort Collins Escape Room or ConTRAPtions will push you to pair adventure with strategy. Escape rooms provide a unique experience that encourages you to work together as a team and test your mind in order to solve the mysteries, puzzles, and tests that will help you escape a room.
Go Outside and Play
In Fort Collins, there are unending opportunities that allow people to stay active and enjoy the beauty of a Colorado summer.
- Walk, Run, Hike: All throughout Northern Colorado, you will find scenic trails perfect for a leisurely walk, a morning run, or a rigorous hike. Some of the post popular trails can be found in Lory State Park, Rocky Mountain National Park, Coyote Ridge Natural Area, or Roosevelt National Forrest.
- Bike: Another popular pastime in Northern Colorado is biking. Whether you prefer to ride in the mountains or on the road, Fort Collins has some of the best biking trails around. Even if you don’t have a bike, you can still get out and ride around town by renting a bike from a Fort Collins Bike Share.
- Fish: If you have your fishing license and a pole ready to go, you can find some of the top recreational fishing spots in the state at just a short drive away. Whether you want to go fly fishing in the Poudre River or catch some fine trout in the Big Thompson River, fishing is a great way to unwind on any summer day.
Get Out on the Water
From swimming to whitewater rafting, Fort Collins and the surrounding cities offer countless lakes for fun on the water. Whether you want to kayak, paddleboard, wakeboard, enjoy a day on the boat with friends, or simply cool off at a Northern Colorado swim beach, there is a lake (or river) and a full day of fun in the sun waiting for you.
Get Away At Nearby Horsetooth Reservoir
Horsetooth Reservoir is one of the most scenic locations in Colorado located just a few miles west of Fort Collins. It’s a popular area for hiking, camping, biking, or even horseback riding, but it’s most popular for the beautiful views and activities on the water. Horsetooth is the perfect place for some summer staycation fun whether you’re boating, stand-up paddleboarding, kayaking, tubing, or water-skiing.
It may be a little late in the season, but you can still plan a day or weekend staycation the whole family can enjoy in and around Fort Collins.