Finding a new Colorado apartment can be just as overwhelming as it is exciting. With so much to consider, knowing what things to look for in your next rental can help you as you narrow down your options.
Your list of wants and needs may take up an entire page, but there is more to look for than the number of bedrooms or how updated the kitchen is. Those things are easy to identify and easy to remember, but there is more that you should be mindful of as you’re choosing your next home.
Whether you’re looking for your first apartment or your fourth, look over a rental checklist beforehand, or even take one with you when you’re touring a new apartment, to help you find the right rental for you.
Start With Safety
Home should be the place where you can feel safe and secure, so start your apartment tour by paying attention to the safety features of both the apartment and the complex. Important things to check for include:
- Secure doors with locks and deadbolt in good working order
- Locking windows with screens
- Working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in the unit
- Fire extinguishers and sprinklers
- Good lighting in hallways, walkways, and parking lots
- Security measures in place such as keyed entry into buildings or security gates
Amenities and Condition of the Apartment
You probably have a list in your mind of the features that are important to you within the apartment such as the number of bedrooms and bathrooms or the size of the kitchen and living spaces. After you’ve looked for the big things, take a closer look into the little things that can have an effect on daily life. Some things to consider could be:
- Internet connection
- Availability for cable or satellite TV
- Condition and function of major appliances such as refrigerator, oven, stove, and dishwasher
- Washer and dryer hookups for laundry within the apartment or condition of existing washing machine or clothes dryer
- Check faucets and showerheads for clean water and good water pressure
- Be sure that toilets flush properly
- Check that light switches and fixtures work throughout
- Look at the condition and cleanliness of the flooring, walls, and cabinetry
- Consider the amount of storage available
- Look for signs of water damage, mold, or mildew
- Check that windows and doors are sealed well
- Pay attention to noise levels
- Test outlets
- Check the cell reception from within different areas of the apartment
Building or Complex Amenities
Finding a new Colorado apartment also means finding a good apartment complex. You want to live in a community that will help you feel safe, but you also want an area that will fit in well with your lifestyle. While there are many important questions to ask when renting an apartment, take a careful look at the building and complex looking for things including:
- On-site laundry facilities if there are not hook-ups within the apartment
- Trash removal and disposal policies
- Amenities such as gym, pool, or common areas
- Ask about parking policies: Do you have to pay for an assigned parking spot or if parking is free on a first come first serve basis? Where do guests park? Are there garages available and what is the fee?
- Ask where mail and packages are delivered
- Check security of public entrances
- Ask about pet policies and fees
- Ask how emergency maintenance issues are handled
Neighborhood and Location
Even if you find the perfect apartment, you should carefully consider the neighborhood and the location within the city you live in. Your commute to work, proximity of grocery stores or entertainment, and crime rates in the area are all important considerations. When looking at a neighborhood, consider things such as:
- How long it will take you to get to work
- Are there grocery stores, pharmacies, or gas stations nearby
- What are the schools in your area
- Are there options for dining, shipping, or entertainment
- What is traffic like around the complex
- What are the crime rates in the area
- Are there parks or access to outdoor recreation nearby
Hopefully, armed with all these considerations and questions, you can find an apartment that perfectly suits your needs.
Ready to dive into your apartment search? Check out our available properties today.